Canadian singer Daniel Powter, best known for his 2005 hit 'Bad Day', will be performing live at the President's Star Charity on Dec 10. He tells us about his favourite charities and updates us on his new album.
8 DAYS: You’ve performed 'Bad Day' on countless occasions. What are the most memorable ones?
DANIEL POWTER: Probably at [G8 benefit concert] 'Live 8' in Berlin in 2005. I was so scared because there were 150,000 people there and I was playing a grand piano by myself. The entire event was so massive. Another was in Amsterdam where I was playing a big show when suddenly all the power died halfway. The entire audience just sang the song with no music. I'm very happy we made the best out of a bad situation. Actually, maybe we'll make the most memorable time in Singapore! It's going to be fun and I'm thinking of doing something special (laughs).
Why did you decide to perform for President’s Star Charity ?
First of all, I've never been to Singapore and I always wanted to visit. And I love contributing to charity. I've visited children in hospitals, and performed for many charity events. I think finding a little humility and doing something for others are gifts that keep on giving. So it's two good things — one for me and one for others.
Any particular charities you're interested in?
Back home, I've always been involved in giving instruments to children who can't afford them. We do a drive and raise funds for disadvantaged people who want to learn music. I love staying involved with the music part of things.
You're currently recording your new album in LA. When is it coming out?
I've written almost all the songs for the record and I'm just picking producers now. It's been a long time and I'm excited to be back in the studio.
Like Daniel, you can do your part to help. Here's how:
• Join Mediacorp artistes & DJs to pack & distribute goodie bags for low-income families and isolated elderlies.
• Sun, 10 Dec at 6pm at the Pavilion between Blk 366/367 Clementi Avenue 2.
• Find out more here https://www.pc.org.sg/Volunteer.
• Donate by calling 1900-112-8821 ($10), 1900-112-8822 ($50) & 1900-112-8823 ($100) or
• Via www.giving.sg/psc2017 & Singtel Dash App.
• President’s Star Charity 2017 will be shown live on Ch 5 and Toggle at 7.30pm. Encore: Sat, 16 Dec, Ch 5, 4pm.