You don’t need to pay admission fees or even step out further than your void deck if you want to appreciate art these days. In fact, all you need is your mobile phone and to slink over to one of these selected void decks around the island.
There are 25 void decks across eight neighbourhoods in Singapore that have been transformed into mini art galleries by the National Gallery Singapore’s The People’s Gallery series that's on until end November. There are 50 artworks by Singapore and Southeast Asian artists featured at these galleries in Bishan, Toa Payoh, Jurong West, Marine Parade, Serangoon, Pasir Ris, Punggol, and Yishun (exact locations below).
But these aren’t your regular art galleries — they’re powered by augmented reality (AR). You’ll need your mobile phone to scan QR codes displayed to view the pieces via AR.
While we’re pretty sure we don’t need to explain how QR codes work by now, here’s a quick rundown of how it works: Scan the QR code at the designated void decks and the works of art pop up in AR via an interactive microsite. Like in a physical gallery, it’s accompanied by labels and an audio guide with more info about each piece.
To keep people interested during its three-month run until end November, the QR codes will be refreshed with different pieces four times during this period.
Fantastic art and where to find them:
- Blk 10 Toa Payoh Lorong 7, Singapore 310010
- Blk 130B Toa Payoh Lorong 1, Singapore 311128
- Blk 79C Toa Payoh Central, Singapore 313079
- Blk 197 Bishan St 13, Singapore 570197
- Blk 261 Bishan St 22, Singapore 570261
- Blk 702 West Coast Road, Singapore 120702
- Blk 32 Teban Gardens Road, Singapore 600032
- Blk 617 Jurong West Street 65, Singapore 640617
- Blk 650A Jurong West Street 61, Singapore 640617
- Blk 701 Jurong West Street 71, Singapore 640701
- Blk 44 Telok Blangah Drive, Singapore 100044
- Blk 79 Marine Drive, Singapore 440079
- Blk 99 Airport Road, Singapore 390099
- 8 Haig Road, Singapore 430008
- Blk 203 Serangoon Central, Singapore 550203
- Blk 92 Pipit Road, Singapore 370092
- Blk 268D Punggol Field, Singapore 824268
- Blk 301B Punggol Central, Singapore 822301
- Blk 168 Punggol Field, Singapore 820168
- Blk 627 Pasir Ris Drive 3, Singapore 510627
- Blk 547 Pasir Ris St 51, Singapore 510547
- Blk 446 Pasir Ris Drive 6, Singapore 510446
- Blk 257 Yishun Ring Road, Singapore 760257
- Blk 413 Yishun Ring Road, Singapore 760413
- Blk 204 Yishun Street 21, Singapore 760204
- Blk 701 Yishun Avenue 5, Singapore 760701
- Blk 841 Yishun Street 81, Singapore 760841
More info here.
Photos: National Gallery Singapore