The arrival hall of any airport is usually a very happy place. But not tonight at Changi Airport’s Terminal 3. The media have gathered at the Haven Lounge to meet Dasmond Koh and Aloysius Pang’s second elder brother Kenny. Earlier in the day, Das, who was the late actor’s boss, had posted a message on his Instagram telling the media that he and Kenny are available for a “short chat” upon their arrival from New Zealand. In the post, he had added his flight number (SQ286) and his estimated time of arrival (21:15).

Just hours earlier, Chief of Army Major-General (MG) Goh Si Hou had revealed the cause of Aloysius‘ death. The actor, who was serving as an Armament Technician, had been crushed between the gun barrel of a howitzer and its cabin, and as a result sustained serious injuries to his lungs, heart and kidney. “It appears from the initial findings that Aloysius was unable to get out of the way as the gun barrel was lowered,” said MG Goh, who added that Aloysius was with another technician and a gun detachment commander inside the Singapore Self-Propelled Howitzer (SSPH). They had been tasked to repair a suspected fault in the gun barrel.

Chief of Army Medical Officer Colonel Dr Lo Hong Yee said that after the accident, Aloy was immediately treated on site by an SAF doctor. He also revealed that Aloysius was conscious then and was able to communicate with the medical team attending to him.

Aloy was then evacuated to Waikato Hospital where he underwent three operations. It was reported that the actor’s condition had stabilised after the first two operations, that he was conscious and breathing without medical assistance, and that he was also able speak to his mum who had flown to New Zealand. 

But the doctors, which included Dr Teo Li Tserng, Chief of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, were expecting complications. “They just didn’t know when it would set in,” said Dr Lo. Aloy’s condition then took a turn for the worse which was when the third surgery happened. He was eventually put on artificial life support.

Aloysius died yesterday (Jan 23), four days after the accident.