ASK THE 8 GURU
YOUR BURNING QUESTION

Congrats to local singers Alfred Sim and Tay Kewei who welcomed a baby boy yesterday (Sep 27).
Kewei, 34, first started having contractions on Tuesday morning and was admitted into Parkway East Hospital the same night. She gave birth to their son, who weighs 3.27kg, yesterday morning after a smooth 45-minute delivery. She’s still in hospital and will be discharged tomorrow.
Speaking to 8 DAYS over the phone, proud daddy Alfred, 35, tells us: “It was quite interesting as I had zero expectation and was really curious to see how our baby would look like. When he finally came out, I was so touched that I almost cried.”
He adds: “But I didn’t cry after seeing how squashed up my son’s face was. It made me a little worried and distracted. I found out later that all newborns look like that (laughs). I’m just really happy that my baby and wife are both safe and healthy.”
The couple are also elated that their son shares the same birthday as Hongkong superstar Andy Lau. “Kewei and I have liked Andy Lau for a long time,” he laughs. “He’s our childhood idol.”
Adds Alfred: “[Our son’s] estimated date of arrival was Sep 23, but I had been coaxing him to wait for a few more days so that he will be born on Sep 27. It seems like he’s really obedient ‘cos he listened to us!”
The first-time parents have not thought of a name for their son, but Alfred says that he won’t be named after the Heavenly King.
“Andy is quite a normal name so I don’t think we will call him that,” he says. “We have two weeks to think about it so we may consult a fortune teller before deciding.”
So who does the baby resemble more?
Alfred shares: “Many people think that he’s just like a mini version of me, but I think 60 per cent of him looks like me and the remaining 40 per cent, like his mouth, resembles Kewei’s. But in general, he looks like me, maybe ‘cos he’s a boy (laughs).”
On being a dad for the first time, the singer and gym-owner says: “I’m a one-day-old father so far. In the past few hours, we’ve learnt to recognize when he’s hungry or uncomfortable. We’ve also learnt how to make him burp. Everything has been quite manageable. I guess we are pretty chill! (chuckles).”


View Next

View Next


Recommended