This recipe is the perfect example of mod Sin made easy. It amalgamates ang moh pizza with nonya otak, amped up with laksa paste. Pairing cheese and otak may sound bizarre, but believe us when we say that Gruyere and otak are as good a match as an expat Frenchman and a SPG (they often make pretty children, okay?).
We used nonya otak because they tend to be plumper and more succulent than the usual skinny Chinese ones. This means less drying up and shrinkage when they are given time in the oven. Feel free to use the skinnier otaks, though. And if you do, cut them into larger pieces for the pizza. We topped it all off with a few quail eggs because, well, they are so damn cute on these petite pies. And who doesn’t love a slightly oozy yolk or three?
We also chose pita bread from the supermarket for the base rather than store-bought pizza dough because we have yet to find a ready-made pizza base that doesn’t have the texture of cardboard. The pitas are just thick enough so you get the right balance of chewy and crisp when they come out of the oven, while the gooey eggs, salty cheese and spicy otak all come together in a shiok mouthful. You could also use naan or tortilla wraps (which would make a crisper base).
Otak Pita Pizza
Makes 2; feeds one – two pax
2 pita breads
2-3 tbsp ready-made laksa paste (try Prima Taste’s)
½ cup coconut milk
¼ tsp salt
½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
4 pcs large nonya otak (we got ours from 328 Katong Laksa), cut into small cubes
6 quail eggs
6 laksa leaves, finely sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the pita breads on the lined baking tray.
3. To make sauce for the pizza base, combine laksa paste with coconut milk and salt in a bowl. Stir to mix evenly.
4. Using a spoon, spread the laksa and coconut milk mix over the base of each pita bread, leaving a 2cm border.
5. Mix the two cheeses in a bowl and then sprinkle a layer of cheese over the laksa mix.
6. Place otak chunks on each pizza and then top with another sprinkling of cheese.
7. Break 3 quail eggs over each pizza.
8. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
9. Remove from the oven, scatter laksa leaves over each pizza and serve immediately.