- 3 chicken legs, skin removed, visible fats trimmed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper/chilli pepper
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried herb (sage, thyme, basil, rosemary)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- English parsley
1. In a bowl, whisk buttermilk, mustard, cayenne and garlic. Add the chicken legs and coat well. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 220°C. Set a wire rack on a baking tray and coat it with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl, sieve in flour, smoked paprika, dried herb of your choice, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl, and mix well.
4. Take out the chicken pieces from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking to bring them closer to room temperature (this helps with even cooking)
5. Place each marinated chicken leg into the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off excess flour mix and place the chicken on the wire rack.
6. Spray the chicken pieces with a layer of cooking spray and bake the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. About 30-40 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, and serve with some grilled pineapple and a fresh salad