Ewan McGregor Says All The Dialogue In Star Wars: Attack of the Clones Had To Be Re-Recorded Because Of Noisy Digital Cameras
Believe it or not, every line of dialogue in the 2002 movie was re-recorded in post-production.
Ewan McGregor has revealed that all of the dialogue for 2002's Star Wars: Attack of the Clones had to be redone.
McGregor, who starred as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the space fantasy series, explained that the new digital cameras used to shoot the second chapter in the prequel trilogy then was so noisy that the actors' lines had to be re-dubbed in post-production.
McGregor, 51, is reprising the role of the Jedi Master in the Disney+ limited series, Obi-Wan Kenobi, premiering Friday (May 27). Hayden Christensen is also returning to portray Jedi knight-turned-Sith lord Darth Vader.
When asked at Obi-Wan Kenobi's global press conference about how the production technology has evolved since Attack of the Clones, the Emmy-winning actor said: "[The Obi-Wan Kenobi team] were cutting edge technology, but compared to what we [had then]... they had huge umbilical cords coming out the back of the cameras, and you couldn't change the lenses.
"Or, they could change the lenses but it would take like, half an hour. So everything was just shot on a zoom lens. The umbilicals led to this big tent in the corner of the stage that literally hummed. It was so noisy. And when in post-production, they realised at the end that the noise they made was exactly the frequency of the human voice."
"So we had to ADR [Audio Dialogue Replacement[ every single line of Episode 2. None of the original dialogue made it through because of that, because the cameras were like, so new. None of the bugs had been worked out yet. So compared to what we're doing now, it's like night and day!"
Obi-Wan Kenobi will launch on Friday (May 27) with double episodes. — BANG SHOWBIZ
Photo: TPG News/Click Photos