Dune is getting a sequel.
Legendary Entertainment have announced plans to launch a sequel to the Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi movie, which was released last week in the US (and earlier in September in Singapore and other territories).
In an announcement via Twitter, the production company wrote: "This is only the beginning...
"Thank you to those who have experienced @dunemovie so far, and those who are going in the days and weeks ahead. We're excited to continue the journey! (sic)"
This is only the beginning...— Legendary (@Legendary) October 26, 2021
Thank you to those who have experienced @dunemovie so far, and those who are going in the days and weeks ahead. We're excited to continue the journey! pic.twitter.com/mZj68Hnm0A
Dune features a star-studded cast that includes the likes of Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Jason Momoa and Oscar Isaac.
The movie has already performed well at the box office, and the director previously admitted to being "optimistic" about the prospect of making a sequel.
Villeneuve — whose previous credits included Blade Runner 2049 and Sicario — recently told Variety: "I wanted at the beginning to do the two parts simultaneously.
"For several reasons, it didn’t happen, and I agreed to the challenge of making part one and then wait to see if the movie rings enough enthusiasm … As I was doing the first part, I really put all my passion into it, in case it would be the only one. But I’m optimistic."
Warner Bros CEO Ann Sarnoff has also hinted at making a sequel. However, she insisted the decision to make a sequel wouldn't simply be determined by the film's performance at the box office.
Discussing the potential for a follow-up film, she said: "The story in itself sets up for a sequel. The production is so amazing and the storytelling is so compelling that it’s not going to be judged on box office alone." — BANG SHOWBIZ
Photo: Warner Bros Pictures