TVB Actor Bob Lam Speaks Out As Daughters Face Online Scrutiny & Cyberbullying After Devil Wears Prada 2 Premiere - 8days Skip to main content
Advertisement
Advertisement

TVB Actor Bob Lam Speaks Out As Daughters Face Online Scrutiny & Cyberbullying After Devil Wears Prada 2 Premiere

"If anyone wants to vent, you can direct it at me," he said.
Set 8days as your preferred source on Google
Add 8days as a trusted source to help Google better understand and surface our content in search results.
TVB Actor Bob Lam Speaks Out As Daughters Face Online Scrutiny & Cyberbullying After Devil Wears Prada 2 Premiere

The internet can sometimes be a very dark place, and netizens often show no mercy — even towards minors.

Recently, the daughters of TVB actor Bob Lam found themselves at the centre of harsh online criticism after attending the The Devil Wears Prada 2 premiere in Hong Kong. 

At the event, the 46-year-old's two elder daughters — Faye, 17, and Haye, 14 — were seen posing for the media scrum in front of a movie poster wall. They looked genuinely excited and handled the photographers with poise, even striking a playful Charlie’s Angels pose together.

Faye was in a red spaghetti strap top and dark blue jeans while Haye opted for a red T-shirt with light denim jeans. Bob, his wife Pearl, and their two other kids — 11-year-old daughter Kaye and eight-year-old son Jaye — were not spotted with them that evening.

However, what was meant to be a fun and memorable outing for the girls, who are said to be fans of the film franchise, quickly took an unexpected turn.

After videos from the event surfaced online, some netizens began leaving harsh and hurtful comments aimed at the girls’ appearances and outfits.

Speaking to Hong Kong media outlet HK01 during a set visit on Monday (May 4), Bob made it clear he stands firmly by his daughters.

He explained that the girls had been invited by the film company and that he agreed to let them attend because of their interest in the movie.

“They’re just teenage girls. When they got there and saw many older people and reporters asking them to pose, they simply followed along. They behaved very appropriately and confidently," he said.

Bob stressed that his daughters showed up with a simple mindset and never expected such intense public attention.

While he inevitably felt upset as a father upon seeing the online attacks, he shared that his daughters handled the situation better than he had anticipated.

“I asked them if they felt unhappy. Fortunately, they were very positive. My eldest even told me she had a great time on a graduation trip to Korea with her mum these past few days, and didn’t seem affected by the comments," he revealed.

"I’ve always taught them that in this industry, praise naturally comes with criticism. The most important thing is to care about the people who truly love and care about us.”

Still, Bob earnestly appealed to netizens to “go easy” on children.

“If anyone is dissatisfied or wants to vent, you can direct it at me. I’m an entertainer, this is part of my job, and I’m used to it," he said.

"But children are innocent. They’re not part of this industry. I hope everyone can give them some space. And who would be happy seeing their loved ones being attacked? I just hope the focus can be put back on me.”

And while the incident did left Bob feeling helpless, he said he would not intentionally reduce his daughters’ appearances at public events in the future.

As long as they enjoy it, he will fully support and protect them as their father.

Just two young girls there to enjoy the show
Photos: am730hk/Instagram, hk01

Watch Now

Advertisement
Advertisement

Shopping

Want More? Check These Out

Watch

You May Also Like