Host Charlotte Mei, runner-up of culinary competition Eat List Star shares her recipe for this dish from makan show Crave, which aired on Ch 5.
Salted Egg Yolk Prawn Roll With Tobiko (Shrimp Roe)
Serves two pax
- 2 hot dog rolls
- 7 large prawns, deshelled and chopped into big chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 3+2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- A knob of unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1 chili padi, sliced
- 4 steamed salted egg yolks, mashed
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- A handful of rocket leaves, for garnish
- 1 packet ebiko, for garnish (shrimp roe, found in the sushi section of good supermarkets)
1. Place the beaten eggs in a small ball. Place the two flours in another bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. Dip the chopped prawns into the eggs, then dredge them in the flour mix. Set aside.
3. In a wok, heat 3 tbsp oil and shallow-fry the prawns until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
4. In the same wok, heat the butter and 2 tbsp oil. Add the chilli padi, curry leaves, garlic and shallots. Fry till fragrant.
5. Add the mashed salted yolks and fry until mixture is foamy.
6. Season with fish sauce, sugar and turmeric.
7. Turn off the heat and add the prawns. Mix well to coat the prawns evenly. Butter and fill the bread rolls, top with ebiko and serve immediately with a side of rocket leaves.