This weekend, skip the wallet-draining, time-consuming café-hopping in search of the perfect waffles and whip up your own instead. They’re easy to make and don’t cost much. All you need is a good waffle iron (we like the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker) and a good batter. This recipe yields discs that are light and crisp on the outside and squishy within. The corn flour keeps the insides slightly gooey. Drizzle rich, subtly burnt caramel sauce on them for a heavenly dessert.
Makes 3 to 6 waffles – depending on the size of your waffle maker – and about 2 cups of caramel sauce
For the waffles:
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup cornflour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine sea salt
1½ tsp sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil like soybean, corn or canola
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel sauce:
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
4 tbsp butter
1 cup cream (single, heavy or thickened)
½ tbsp sea salt
1. Combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk to mix well.
2. Add the milk, buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla extract, and whisk to blend well so that you get a smooth batter.
3. Cover and leave to rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Preheat your waffle iron and make waffles according to your machine’s instructions.
5. To make caramel sauce, place sugar and water in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and set over medium heat.
6. Sit back and watch the sugar turn lightly golden and then a dark amber. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Do not stir.
7. When the sugar has reached a dark amber, turn off the heat and carefully add the butter to the pan. The mixture will foam up a little. Stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
8. Add the cream to the pan and stir. Again, the mixture will rise and foam up. Be careful not to touch the mixture, which will be extremely hot.
9. Let the sauce cool till it’s slightly warm or at room temperature before pouring onto your waffles. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a month.
10. Serve waffles drizzled with caramel sauce. Add a dollop of whipped cream and grilled banana slices, if desired.