Advertisement

Amid the pandemic, there’s been no shortage of pivots and side gigs in the F&B world. New hawker stall Chef Goo, which serves Hokkien mee and pao fan, is yet another product of the times. It opened on May 18 at Alexandra Village Food Centre, more than a year after its 49-year-old owner, Johnson Goo, called it quits as a limousine taxi driver.

“The effect [from the pandemic] was immediate,” he says. “When Covid-19 came, tourists were gone. Job gone too.” He estimates that around 80 percent of his driver’s earnings came from transporting “big groups of tourists” in his seven-seater Toyota Vellfire. The remaining 20 per cent came from corporate clients, which also dried up last year. By February 2020, he wasn’t able to make any money doing the job he’d done since 2015.

All photos cannot be reproduced without permission from 8days.sg

Advertisement

WANT MORE? CHECK THESE OUT

WANT MORE? CHECK THESE OUT